ON Election 2022

hub-logo-white

SelwynBuckHicks

Selwyn Hicks, who has taken a leave from his responsibilities as Grey County Warden to run as the Liberal candidate in the June 2 provincial election, opened his campaign office  in downtown Owen Sound with these remarks:

"I first want to respectfully acknowledge the history, spirituality and culture of the Anishinabek, Six Nations of the Grand River, Haudenosaunee and Wendat-Wyandot-Wyandotte peoples on whose traditional territories we gather. May we all, as Treaty people, live with respect on this land, and live in peace and friendship with all of its diverse peoples. Miigwetch.

For the voters in Bruce – Grey – Owen Sound, this election will come down to a choice between experience or ambition.
Voters can select a candidate with “good intentions”, or, they can vote for an MPP with a proven track record for getting things done. The choice will be theirs.

Voters have seen that I am a leader who brings people together to address tough issues – like rural broadband – No one in Grey/Bruce fought harder for broadband expansion than me. As a result, we now have 15 new SWIFT fibre projects in Grey/Bruce either completed or under construction.

Voters have seen me tackle Affordable Housing. As Warden I called on my council to act boldly to address the affordable housing shortage. Indeed, County Council did just that with the establishment of a new affordable housing fund and establishment of a brand new 1% dedicated levy each and every year. If elected as the MPP for Bruce – Grey – Owen Sound, I will continue my advocacy for affordable housing.

Adding to my track record, voters have seen me tackle Mental Health and Addictions. As Warden I called for action on this important issue and we now have a task force underway with an amazing group of professionals including Dr. Arra and Dr. Zayed from Grey Bruce Public Health.

I am someone with a fire in my belly for getting meaningful results that make a difference in people’s lives.

I am someone who listens and then takes action.

I am someone with lived experience growing up poor and knowing what it feels like to struggle. As a result, I will be the MPP who stands up for the little guy – I haven’t forgotten where I came from.

“I am running to restore HOPE for those people who are struggling.
Struggling to make ends meet;
Struggling to find affordable housing;
Struggling to keep their small businesses going;
Struggling with mental health or addictions challenges.”

My message to those people is: Change is on its way. You keep fighting the good fight and MPP Hicks will have your back.

Just yesterday, I attended a meeting with a number of Wardens in South-West Ontario. It is interesting to note that we have common challenges like:

• Expansion of broadband infrastructure in rural and remote communities;
  • Attracting doctors, nurses and support workers in rural communities;
  • Attracting a diverse labour force to support economic growth;
  • Climate change;
  • Expansion of electric charging infrastructure as we migrate away from fossil fuels;
  • Reform of Long-Term Care and better supports for home care

I’ll conclude by saying that while the issues are important, what is most important is people. I will campaign using words like dignity, hope and compassion. People are struggling and this politician is going to do what you’ve come to expect from him. I am going to step up, take action and get results. That’s what I do."

Selwyn Hicks Campaign
Telephone: 226-664-0150
Twitter: @selwynjhicks
Facebook: facebook.com/SelwynJHicks

Hub-Bottom-Tagline

CopyRight ©2015, ©2016, ©2017 of Hub Content
is held by content creators